Hotels serve as a “home away from home” for many travellers. When these tourists are exploring an unknown city, they can stay at a hotel room and relax after a long day of exploring and shopping.
Not all hotels, however, are easy on the pocket. Many four- and five-star hotels charge hundreds of dollars per night for a swanky or luxury hotel room.
This doesn’t mean, however, that you and other budget traveler can no longer have an upscale and unique hotel experience. Some hotel establishments have features that will make you feel like you’re staying at a luxury hotel. What’s more, these rooms won’t cost you an arm a leg.
Here are a few features that can turn an ordinary-looking hotel into a luxury accommodation:
- Distinctive and Well-Appointed Guest Rooms You’ll Love
One way for resorts and hotels to set themselves apart from other accommodations is the distinctive amenities, accents and accessories that help you experience the local flavor. These include:
- Top-Quality Beauty and Bath Products
- Free Bottled Water
- A Fluffy Bathrobe
- A Comfortable and Modern Bedroom Rug (to keep your feet warm when you get out of bed)
- Ample Closet and Drawer Space
Apart from these, a genuine luxury hotel will accommodate your request regarding the following elements:
- The type of bed you want
- The room level or category
- Special classifications, such as allergen-free and friendly for pets
- Room location (in terms of view, floor and proximity to elevators)
You know that you’ve checked in to a luxury hotel when the management gives you exactly the kind of room you’ve requested.
2 – Hassle-Free Booking Process
Whether you book a hotel through a trusted travel agent, over the phone, via e-mail or on a third-party website, the overall booking process should be simple and trouble-free. You should be able to get in touch with a helpful, knowledgeable staff member if you have special requests, changes to your initial booking or questions about your hotel room.
3 – Outstanding Hotel Dining
A small hotel can feel like a five-star accommodation when they offer guests a place to eat (and a place to drink, as well). Apart from having an attractive bar and restaurant, the hotel establishment should offer good food.
As for breakfast, the establishment should make the effort to whip up meals for their valued hotel guests. If you’re staying in a Turkish-themed hotel, for instance, the staff should serve delicious Turkish breakfast instead of cottony bagels and packaged cereals.
4 – Complimentary Internet Access
Many hotels charge guests separately for Wi-Fi access – a service that should be free for all guests. If the accommodation you’ve chosen doesn’t come with complimentary Wi-Fi, you’re better off somewhere else. This is especially true for business travelers and digital nomads who need to stay connected all time.
5 – A Range of On-Site Services that Delight
Another factor that gives ordinary hotels an edge is the selection and quality of on-site services that make your stay a special and pleasant experience.
Apart from the basic room, laundry and unpacking service, an excellent accommodation offers the following:
- A Reliable Concierge – This isn’t a staff member who pushes guests toward a tourist trap. They should be someone you can depend on for spot-on recommendations, as well as getting help where you need to go on time and in comfort.
- Referral Service – The hotel should give you a list of reliable providers for dog-walking, babysitting and other services before or after your arrival.
- 24-Hour Fitness Center – Staying fit is important, especially for business and full-time travelers. A great hotel should have a mini-gym with a range of basic fitness equipment, such as free weights, a stationary bike and a treadmill.
6 – Timely Resolution of Problems
This is where the top hotels shine. The first staff member you talk to should own the problem and make sure that they personally resolve it as fast as possible – or connect you to someone who can address your issue.
7 – Outstanding Housekeeping
Hotel housekeeping should reliable, thorough and discreet. The cleaning staff in charge of tidying up your room should never remove any item that’s yours, including half-drunk water bottles and empty shopping bags.
Also, proper housekeeping should not involve the use of cheaply perfumed cleaning products orcleaners with too much ammonia. This applies not just to your hotel room, but also in other areas of the establishment, including the on-site restaurant, common areas and hotel corridors.
If you encounter problems with your room, the handymen and maintenance personnel should appear at your room within minutes to fix a faulty showerhead, jammed coffee maker, broken refrigerator and other issues.
At the end of the day, the term “luxury” is in the eye of the beholder. If you’re going to stay at any hotel, make sure that the establishment has these features to make your stay pleasant.