Preventative care for skin is a must for everybody, and it becomes even more challenging during the summer months and especially after sun exposure. Some skin damage is inevitable if you have spent some time under the sun, especially during the summertime. Perhaps you have been hiking or went off to the beach or was invited to a pool party. Even if you have applied and reapplied an SPF, your skin may still be subject to some damage.
One needs to prepare the skin for sun exposure as well as take some essential steps afterward. You may not be aware, but the outer protective layer of your skin is compromised under the sun and is leaking moisture all the time. It is a good idea to have a dermatologist for your skincare needs, and finding a dermatologist in Lake Nona is certainly a good idea.
Give below are some tips on how to take care of your skin post-sun exposure.
- Stay well hydrated – Hydrate your skin from within and outside, and it means drinking lots of fluids and applying a good quality skincare ingredient. So, drink lots of water that is cool and refreshing but stay away from excessive caffeinated drinks like tea or coffee or carbonated drinks.
- Opt for creamier formula – When it comes to moisturizing, it is better to look for a thicker formula containing ceramides, lanolins, and oat. The creams should be very fast absorbing in the skin and should not leave a sticky, heavy feel on the skin, especially during the humid days of summer.
- Look for natural remedies- It is a good idea to enhance your intake of vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant and prevents skin from added damage from UVA and UVB rays. Chamomile and green tea carry powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Use homemade masks. Soothe and cool your skin with homemade masks such as a mix of yogurt and cucumber or milk and almonds. Use an oatmeal mask to cool and soothe your skin.
- Avoid any strong products- As sun-damaged skin is already sensitive, it can be further damaging if you use a strong abrasive. So, stay away from skincare products carrying AHAs, glycolic acids, retinoic acid, salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide.
- Take special care of the eyes- As the skin around the eyes is particularly fragile, the summer weather can be particularly harsh. Use natural products containing aloe vera, echinacea extracts, and sea kelp to rejuvenate the skin around the eyes.
- Do not ignore the lips – Buy a lip scrub to remove any dead cells from the skin’s surface and follow it up as a regular lip care routine post any sun exposure. Use a hydrating lip conditioner to protect the delicate skin of the lips and keep them from drying.
After-sun care is very important if you want to keep your skin in good condition. Let nothing stop you from having some fun under the sun, and all you need to do is follow the above-listed tips to keep your skin protected and safe at all times.