Transfixing images of heart-shaped swimming pools, chairs modelled around stilettos and beds in hot air balloons are all things you might conjure up when thinking of A Pretty Cool Hotel Tour.
As the brainchild of Margaret, and her husband Corey, A Pretty Cool Hotel tour brings to life some of the most eccentric, Baz Luhrmann-like hotels across America on a very vibrant and kitsch Instagram account. What began as a trip to Cove Haven in the Poconos became a love affair with ‘adult’ and ‘theme’ hotels, and the rest is a very vibrant history.
So, House of Coco took the chance to ask Margaret what her top tips would be when it comes to choosing a quirky hotel, thank us later!
Margaret’s top tips
- Look at reviews! If they say: “this place is outdated”, then it’s probably exactly what you’re looking for.
- Make sure there aren’t warnings of bed bugs – I always look at the most recent reviews to scan for that.
- If you’re looking to take photos in a hotel, but not stay overnight, look for cool bathtubs and decor that isn’t likely to have been replaced since the online photos were taken. Oftentimes, you’ll find that bedspreads and carpeting can be different than what’s advertised on a website.
- Try to find a hotel that has multiple kitschy rooms to choose from. Often, you’ll able to see a handful of rooms before selecting one to book!
- If you’re looking for an overnight stay, the ones that let you reserve in advance are your best bet for cleanliness. The last-minute, rent-by-the-hour ones tend to be better for a photoshoot or fun afternoon.
Et voila! Get booking the quirky, kitschy hotel of your dreams and subvert the norm like never before. You can find A Pretty Cool Hotel Tour at @aprettycoolhoteltour