Travelzoo, the UK’s top travel and entertainment deals provider, is urging House of Coco’s savvy jet-setters and fashionistas to head to New York for a city break this Autumn/Winter as airfares are now on sale, starting from just £319 return from London Heathrow: click here!
Maire Bonheim, Travelzoo’s Top 20 Publisher said, “We are seeing some fantastic flight prices to New York which are perfect for an end of year shopping break in the Big Apple. Our team at our headquarters in New York also tell us that Thanksgiving marks the start of the best sale season of the year. From November the big downtown stores like Saks and Nordstom will have amazing sales on and the strong pound means that Brits can get even more from their shopping experience in the city. Top Travelzoo tip – if you keep your purchase to under $110 you can get it tax free!”
Travelzoo’s top five New York Tips for House of Coco’s saavy fashionistas are:
1) Woodbury Commons: for those willing to be slightly adventurous and renting a car or taking one of the many buses that goes here, you will find insane discounts on major designer brands. Everything from Tory Burch to Theory to Chanel to Prada… and the deals are amazing. It’s about an hour and 20 minutes outside of the city.
2) For a ‘shopping’ day most tourists go straight to Fifth Avenue (in midtown) or Soho. The streets are walls of people. For the same stores, but less foot traffic and tourists, hit up the stretch of Fifth Avenue that’s from 14-23rd streets. You’ll find all of the standards (H & M, Zara, J. Crew, Anthropology and some of the boutiques-turned-mainstream like Intermix). Plus Union Square is a block away, which makes for a great pit stop. Another great place to grab a fashion bargain is Nordstrom Rack. It’s a bit chaotic but the trick is to head straight to the shoe department as there is an aisle or two per shoe size filled with designer bargains. It’s end of line odds and ends from the ‘real’ Nordstrom hence the discounts.
3) Sales tend to circle around holidays in the USA. So the upcoming sales will be the weeks around Black Friday (November 28th) and the After Thanksgiving Weekend Sale featuring Midnight Madness from 28th to 30th of November. These sales coincide with autumn (or ‘fall’) clearances as stores make way for winter. It’s the perfect time to shop for that perfect dress to wear for your end of year festivities and Christmas parties to impress your colleagues.
4) If you’re looking for cute boutiques, wander the West Village. There are always new ones popping up, and it really is the quintessential ‘cobblestone’ sidewalk café culture that people glorify it to be.
5) There are ALWAYS huge sample sales going on. So if you really want a deal, and you’re cool with waiting on a long line to get in, a ‘changing room’ that’s a free-for-all of ladies changing, and slight crazies grabbing at messy racks, you can really hit savings gold. Tons of NYC websites highlight upcoming events – here’s one of the best.
Fun fact: Saks Fifth Avenue’s shoe department is so massive and fancypants that it has its own zipcode. So if you just want a fun experience (you will NOT find deals here!). It’s a great stop to make.
Travelzoo has also recently launched a booking engine on its US site but UK visitors can book the hotels and take advantage of the amazing deals in hotels like the Gramercy Park or Smyth Tribeca – all sourced by native New Yorkers. Click here to find out more…