Moist chocolate sponge layered with whipped cocoa cream and fresh strawberries. There’s nothing not to like about this luscious bank holiday bake.
170g self raising flour
170g caster sugar
170g baking margarine
2tsp cocoa powder
For the filling:
400ml double cream
300g icing sugar
35g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C (fan)/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 12-15cm round cake tin in preparation.
- Beat together the baking margarine and caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in the flour, eggs, and cocoa to form a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in its tin.
- Whisk together the double cream, icing sugar and cocoa until the mixture looks spreadable.
- Slice the cake into three even layers. Wash the strawberries and slice each one in half. Starting with the bottom layer, line the edges of the cake with halved strawberries, exposed side facing outwards. Fill the inner circle with cream. Top with the second cake layer and repeat.
- Spread any leftover cream on top of the stacked cake and finish with a pile of strawberries. Serve immediately, keeping any leftovers in the fridge and consuming within 2 days.