Because no great adventure started with salad
A cosy recipe for a rainy May weekend, this scrummy chocolate shortbread takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and 10-15 minutes to bake.
- 270g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 200g butter
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4tbsp icing sugar mixed with 1-2 tsp water
- Dried edible flowers
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C (fan)/gas mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until soft and fluffy. Sift in the flour and cocoa, stirring until well combined. If the mixture looks a little flaky, use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Roll the dough out to approximately 5-8mm thick. Cut out the shortbread biscuits and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the biscuits have set around the edges. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- When the biscuits are completely cool, stencil the icing over the top and scatter with edible flowers. If you don’t have a stencil to hand, drizzle with icing and decorate with flowers. Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.