A simple recipe for seasoned bakers and novices alike
I’ve been using the same sponge recipe since I first baked a cake as a child with my mother. Robust, light, and airy, I’ve never had a bad bake out of it.
170g self raising flour
170g caster sugar
170g baking margarine (you can use butter, but the cake won’t be as light)
600ml double cream
8 tbsp strawberry jam
Fruit, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 165C/145C (fan)/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 15cm round cake tin in preparation.
2. Cream together the caster sugar and margarine until smooth. Fold in the flour and eggs before transferring the mixture to the prepared cake tin. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
3. Leave the cake to rest in its tin for 5 minutes before taking it out and leaving it to cool on a wire rack.
4. When the cake is fully cool, use a serrated knife to slice it into three layers.
5. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fill the cake with two layers of jam and cream, using any left over cream to cover the top. Decorate with fruit and serve immediately.