Contiki, the expert in travel for 18-35 year olds, has launched a new programme of trips in Africa, departing in 2019. Catering exclusively to the tastes of the millennial traveller, the exciting new trips visit South Africa, Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Kenya, plus give travellers the chance to climb Mt Kilimanjaro, relax on the beaches of Zanzibar or get up close with gorillas in Uganda.
Travelling Africa with Contiki promises bucket list worthy, Instagram ready, adrenaline-fuelled adventures. Sleep under the stars in the African wilderness after a day spotting the big five in Chobe National Park, tick off one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World at the thunderous Victoria Falls, take the ultimate Insta snap of wildlife grazing in front of Mount Kilimanjaro, witness the Great Wildebeest Migration, visit a baby elephant sanctuary and feed giraffes in Nairobi. Free time can be spent white water rafting on the Zambezi River, hippo spotting on the Chobe River, wine tasting in the Cape Winelands, bungee jumping over Victoria Falls or enjoying a Champagne breakfast after an unforgettable hot air balloon safari spotting tree-climbing lions.
What’s included with Contiki’s Africa trips:
– Unique accommodation: in hotels, safari lodges and luxury camps under the stars with comfortable beds, en-suites, patios and swimming pools – perfect for relaxation after a day of exploring. No basic camping in sight!
– No hidden costs: Contiki includes all entry fees for game reserves in the cost of the trips. Also included are the majority of meals, with hot breakfasts, buffet lunches, picnics, starlit African BBQs, and more on the menu.
– Smaller group sizes: Approximately 20 passengers per trip means swapping large coach travel for seven seater pop-top safari vehicles across Eastern Africa, and luxury mini buses in Southern Africa. Internal flights are included, making the most of what the destination has to offer and spending less time travelling.
Cape, Safari and Falls (11 days) – visits South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe.
– Join game drives to spot The Big Five in Kruger and Chobe National Parks, and a sunset safari cruise on the Chobe River to see hippos and elephants bathing at dusk.
– See the spectacular Victoria Falls, with the option to bungee jump, gorge swing or zip line in what’s considered the ultimate playground for adrenaline-junkies.
– Raft down the mighty Zambezi River, a go-to destination for thrill-seekers for nearly 40 years. Travellers should make the most of this while they still can – the soon-to-be-built Batoka Gorge dam will slow the flow of the river and make white water rafting a thing of the past.
– Sleep under the stars in Chobe National Park at a private campground amongst the African bush. Enjoy an African ‘braai’ prepared for travellers on the campfire before retiring to dome-tent glamping accommodation with en-suite bathrooms.
From £1,785 per person, internal flights included as well as 10 nights’ accommodation, on-trip transportation, daily breakfasts and three dinners, all game drives and signature ‘No Regrets Inclusions’. Travellers will be joined by a Trip Manager and Driver team who are equipped with local knowledge.
Taste of Tanzania (seven days) – travelling through northern Tanzania
– Included game drives will explore Tarangire National Park, the Serengeti and the stunning Ngorogoro Crater plateau. Travellers can also sign up for a once-in-a-lifetime balloon safari at sunrise, ending with a champagne breakfast on the Serengeti plains to toast to an unforgettable experience.
– Spend two memorable nights sleeping in the Serengeti in luxury glamping accommodation, complete with en-suite and a comfortable bed! Sit outside and listen to nocturnal animals coming to life under the night sky.
– Visit Mto Wa Mbu Village and a local market nearby the Serengeti, and meet a local villager who gives an insight into village life.
From £1,779 per person, on-trip transportation, six nights’ accommodation in unique safari lodges and camps, daily breakfasts, five lunches and five dinners, game drives and other ‘No Regrets Inclusions’, and the opportunity to turbo-charge your safari experience with a hot air balloon safari. Travellers will be joined by a Trip Manager and Driver team who are equipped with local knowledge.
Kenyan Highlights (seven days) – travels through southern Kenya
– Travellers can time their holiday with the Great Wildebeest Migration, one of the world’s most incredible natural wonders, as herds of wildebeest, zebra and antelope make their way to the Masai Mara from the Serengeti.
– In the Masai Mara Reserve, travellers will join daily game drives, visit a Masai village to learn about villagers’ way of life, and stay in a safari lodge within the reserve itself.
– In Nairobi, visit an elephant orphanage and sanctuary which rehabilitate baby elephants back into the wild. At Nairobi’s giraffe centre, get up close and personal with the world’s tallest animal.
– Travellers also have the opportunity to join a hot air balloon safari over the Masai Mara at sunrise, drifting silently over the rumbling herds of elephant and giraffe as they start waking up for the day.
From £1,329 per person, including on-trip transportation, daily breakfasts, five dinners and five lunches, game drives through national parks, six nights’ accommodation in safari lodges and camps and the expertise of a Trip Manager and Driver team, full of local knowledge.
East Africa Safari (13 days) – combining the Taste of Tanzania and Kenyan Highlights itineraries, this trip covers the most ground, linking safari experiences in both the Masai Mara and the Serengeti.
From £3,149 per person, including on-trip transportation, daily breakfasts, ten dinners and ten lunches, game drives through national parks, 12 nights of accommodation in safari lodges and camps, and the expertise of a Trip Manager and Driver team, full of local knowledge.
A collection of short trips that can be booked independently, however are designed to be linked with one of Contiki’s four core Africa trips, extending holidays to include more of the Continent’s most iconic destinations and experiences.
- Gorilla Trek – a four day trip through Uganda’s Entebbe, Bwindi and Lake Mburo, where travellers come face to face with incredible gorilla’s living in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest Reserve (from £1,989).
- Kili Climb – offering two ways to climb, travellers choose their trip depending on their skill level and how much time they have. Shorter and steeper, the Marangu trek will reach the summit in seven days (from £1,445). The longer Rongai trek will spread the climb over eight days (from £1,959).
- Zanzibar Escape – offering two accommodation options, beach huts (from £280) or resort (from £250), Contiki’s four day Zanzibar Escape packages provide an opportunity for sunshine and relaxation before or after an active trip.
Contiki’s Africa trips are on sale now, starting from £1,329pp for the seven day Kenyan Highlights. Add-On trips start from £250pp for the four day Zanzibar Resort Escape. Departures begin operating from 7 April 2019 (for the 11 day Cape, Safari and Falls).