Here at House of Coco we understand the importance of switching off and having ‘me’ time. Internet overload has led millions in the UK to take a “digital detox”, according to a new study published this week. The new Ofcom survey found 34% of internet users have taken a break from the internet of up to a month, with holidays viewed as a good time to switch off.
Heritage Resorts in Mauritius is ideal for those hoping to kick-start a less digitally-dependent lifestyle. Guests can choose between two five-star hotels, Heritage Awali and Heritage Le Telfair, set in the Domaine de Bel Ombre, a former sugar plantation on the southern coast of Mauritius.
On top of the usual white beaches of the Indian Ocean, the hotels have introduced an array of activities, the theory being it’s easier to forget about Twitter, Facebook and Pokémon Go when you have plenty of ways to get outdoors and active.
Here is just a small selection of the activities available on site to distract guests from their phones:
- Windsurfing, kayaking, glass bottom boat trips and snorkelling– All free of charge at the C Beach Club
- Kitesurfing – Mauritius is well-known for its kitesurfing, and guests at Heritage Resorts have a kitesurfing centre right on their doorstep.
- Golf – Heritage Golf Club is a championship 18-hole course, with free green fees to guests at Heritage Resorts.
- Mauritian Wildlife Tour– Spot wild boars, monkeys, parakeets and deer in their natural habitat in the Domaine’s Frederica Nature Reserve
- Wellness Walks – These new walks in the nature reserve incorporate yoga and meditation with a relaxing walk through nature.
- Photo Safari – take your own photos of some of the endangered species on the reserve
- Quad Biking & Segway– They can explore the nature reserve and Domaine at a faster pace!
- Sega parties around the bonfire – Traditional Mauritian music and dance can be enjoyed over a barbecue dinner at Boma restaurant.
A deluxe room at Heritage Awali starts from £276 per night (two sharing) on an all-inclusive basis
A deluxe room at Heritage Le Telfair starts from £260 per night (two sharing) on a B&B basis