If you get caught driving above the speed limit, you can get a speeding ticket. You do, however, have the right to oppose the allegation made against you.

What Happens If You Are Caught Speeding?

In the event of you being caught speeding, you will most probably get some form of penalty. This could entail anything from a three-penalty point endorsement, being asked to finish a speed awareness course, getting six points on your driver’s license, or being prevented from driving for whichever period the court deems fit. In most cases, an FPN (fixed penalty notice) is issued. This entails a minimum fine of one hundred euros and receiving three points on your driver’s license. If twelve or more points were given within a three-year period, a statutory minimum six-month prohibition applies, unless you can persuade the court that incomparable hardship will be caused to the person or others as a result. The penalty you’ll receive will be contingent on the situation but is primarily based on the extent of the speed limit violation. For instance, if you were driving at a speed of thirty-five miles per hour in a thirty miles per hour zone, you will most likely not be disqualified from driving, unless you already have accumulated a substantial amount of points on your driver’s license or are a repeat offender. You can expect an immediate driving disqualification if you’re caught driving forty-five to fifty percent exceeding the permitted speed limit.

What Happens If You Get Caught Speeding When You’re A New Driver?

If you’re still a new driver, the threshold for a penalty is generally lower. If you are within the two-year passing driver limit period and you are given six or more penalty points, your license will be taken away. To get it back, you’ll have to re-apply for a provisional driver’s license, and you must take a written theory test and perform a practical driving test again.

How To Respond To A Speeding Ticket

If you were caught speeding, the person in whose name the vehicle is registered would receive a NIP (notice of intended prosecution) in the post within fourteen days of the violation. You can learn how to get out of a speed ticket here. Such a notice will include particulars of the offense, like the location, time, and date when it took place. It will also show the speed at which you were driving. A Section 172 notice accompanies the NIP. It’s essential to check for any typing mistakes on the document, such as the wrong date of birth, misspelled name since it can’t be used when challenging a speeding ticket. Even if you are not in agreement with the offense stipulated in the NIP, you must still complete the section 172 notice within 28 days after receiving it, and you must also state who the driver of the vehicle was when the offense happened. If you’re unable to offer these details, you have to give as many details as you can about the potential drivers, including addresses, full names, dates of birth, and their driver’s license numbers. If an officer stops you, you may be informed of prosecution, or you may get a verbal warning. If the violation forms part of a road traffic accident, the NIP is not necessitated. After the NIP is posted back, you’ll be issued with an FPN. This is a provisional offer, and you can either accept the ticket and pay the ticket, or you have the right to dispute it in court.


Northern girl Laura is the epitome of a true entrepreneur. Laura’s spirit for adventure and passion for people blaze through House of Coco. She founded House of Coco in 2014 and has grown it in to an internationally recognised brand whilst having a lot of fun along the way. Travel is in her DNA and she is a true visionary and a global citizen.

Comments are closed.