At House of Coco we had a recent chat at HQ about our vegetarian friends and how, after a few too many drinks, they have ended up sticking a Big Mac and fries down their next and then acting the innocent in the morning and now it seems our pals are not alone. New research by a money saving website in the UK has revealed that over a third of vegetarians eat meat whilst under the influence of alcohol. Furthermore, 1 in 3 of these ‘vegetarians’ revealed that they did so every time they were drunk on a night out.
A leading money saving website in the UK has found that over a third of vegetarians in the UK eat meat when they have been consuming alcohol. ‘Kebab meat’ and ‘beef burgers’ were voted the most common meat for vegetarians to give into when drunk.
The survey was conducted by www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, a leading money saving website in the UK. The team there surveyed 1,789 people in the UK, all of whom were vegetarians, as part of the study.
Initially, respondents were asked ‘When drunk, do you ever eat meat?’ To this, over a third of respondents (37%) admitted that they did so. The remaining 63% of respondents were adamant that they never ate meat when drunk.
Following on from this, respondents who disclosed that they had eaten meat when drunk were asked to disclose how often they did so. Respondents were presented with a list of possible answers and were asked to select which applied to them. Results were as follows:
- Every time you are drunk on a night out– 34%
- Fairly often – 26%
- Rarely – 22%
- Occasionally – 18%
Next, the same group of respondents were asked to indicate which foods they were most likely to eat when drunk. Again, respondents were presented with a list of possible answers and were asked to select all that applied to them. The top 5 meats for vegetarians to eat when drunk were:
- Kebab meat – 39%
- Beef Burgers – 34%
- Bacon – 27%
- Fried Chicken – 19%
- Pork Sausages – 14%
Respondents were then asked to reveal how much they spent when eating meat when drunk. Researchers compiled the answers to reveal the average amount spent on meat by vegetarians when drunk as £4.80.
Finally, the vegetarians who admitted to eating meat when drunk were asked to reveal whether they told anyone that they did so. A majority of 69% said that they did not tell others that they ate meat, with only 31% stating that they did.
George Charles, founder of www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, made the following comment:
“I really couldn’t believe the stats from this research! I know a few vegetarians who sometimes crave meat, but it seems that a few are giving into their cravings when drunk! I think it’s important for friends of these vegetarians to support them when drunk and urge them not to eat meat as I’m sure they regret it the next day!”