Paris is yours this summer, and quite literally – with many Parisiens flocking from the centre to other parts of France during the warmer months. We jetted to the City of Light for the perfect weekend and swapped dreary London for shimmery Seine boat rides, brasseries and long lunches in the sun.
We touched down with British Airways Holidays right in beating heart of Paris in Saint-Germain-des-Prés in the 6th Arrondissement. We were transported from the UK and arrived right in the centre of Paris in a few easy hours. With everything from anique stores, museums, boutique shopping, cosy bars and buzzy restaurants on our doorsteps and having been to Paris countless times previously, we decided to keep it local and uncover everything that was on our doorstep.
First things first was to check into our centrally located hotel, K+K Hotel Cayré, just a stone’s throw from the Latin Quarter and then head for coffee. The chic and comfortable hotel was typically Parisien and the Eiffel Tower, Musée d’Orsay, and Louvre Museum were all within walking distance. For an afternoon pick-me-up we chose the historic Les Deux Magots, just a short stroll away. The cafe was first established in 1812 at Rue de Buci and moved to the current address in the 1870s, in the period when the elegant and wide Paris boulevards were being built. Famous amongst the literary set back in the day, we feasted on buttery croissants and steaming black coffee whilst watching the world go by all around us.
Saint-Germain’s major Metro route, Line 4, stops at Saint Michel, Odeon, St-Germain-des-Prés, and Saint-Placide. Line 4 is the link between the north and south of Paris stopping at three of the major Paris train stations — Gare de Nord, Gare de l’Est, and Gare Montparnasse, making it easy to travel just under an hour to the nearby wine regions, the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon in the summer. We headed to Reims in the Champagne region (45 minutes from Paris) from Gare de l’Est and then onto three Champagne houses for a taste of the good stuff and an introduction to winemaking by lesser-known vineyards and wineries. After a few tipples of the freshest bubbles we have ever tasted it was straight back to the city to put our new-found knowledge to the test at the bars and restaurants by our hotel.
WHERE TO EAT & DRINK IN SAINT-GERMAIN
- LATE NIGHT DRINKS & PEOPLE WATCHING: Atlas, Saint Germain
- FLORAL BRUNCHES: Maison Sauvage, Saint Germain
- WHITE TABLE CLOTH FAMPOUS BRASSERIE: Les Deux Magots, Saint Germain
HOW TO GET THERE
British Airways Holidays offers two nights, at the 4* K+K Hotel Cayré, from £319pp, travelling on selected dates between 1 August – 31 August 2022 inclusive. Includes economy return flights from London Gatwick Airport, 25kg luggage allowance and accommodation. Book by 30 July 2022 at www.britishairways.com/france. Further information on British Airways Holidays can be found here.
WHY CHOOSE BRITISH AIRWAYS HOLIDAYS
- Package deal: customers can save time and money when they book their flight + hotel or flight + car together
- Product range: British Airways Holidays offers customers an extensive flight network and over 10,000 carefully selected hotels and villas. It also supplies straight-forward car hire and a range of experiences, transfers and insurance
- Flexibility: travellers can create a personalised multi-centre holiday with ease. They can book and combine flights in and out of different airports, choose multiple hotels and select car hire for any part of their holiday
- Low deposit: travellers can secure their holiday with a low deposit (starting from £60pp) and can pay the balance in as many instalments as they want
- Booking security: for extra peace of mind British Airways Holidays offer a 24-hour helpline and ATOL protection
- Earn: travellers can collect Avios on flight, hotel and car bookings