Stylish accommodation within walking distance of the city gates: Welcome to the dazzling home of your next weekender
“Wow”. Dropping my bags on the floor of the imposing townhouse, I immediately regretted not making this a girly weekend. I had just arrived at Number 41 York, a jaw-droppingly stylish offering a mere 10 minutes walk from the city gates of York. The furnishings, voguish yet comfortable, the artwork, jocose and carefully selected by a keen eye, this is clearly a property for comfort, joy, and coming together.
Sleeping 8 guests over three floors, this open plan Airbnb gem boasts a king, double, and twin bedroom on the first floor, followed by a spacious master suite in the attic. Serviced by three bathrooms (one family, one ensuite, and one cloakroom), and mod-cons such as a smart tv, excellent wi-fi, and a bluetooth speaker in the dining area, this property just screams family get away or stylish weekender with good food, good friends, and great wine. The chic open plan dining area is just darling laid out with the eclectic crockery and glassware provided in the kitchen, the perfect setting for a post-lockdown catch up or hearty family meal. During the warmer months, you can enjoy a more al fresco affair in the walled garden just off the dining room.
With each bedroom characterised by fun artwork and striking wallpaper (some in exclusive prints), Number 41 York is an Instagrammer’s dream. Quirky touches such as the city print wallpaper in the downstairs bathroom and the cheeky rhino’s head popping out of the dining room wall mean any photos from your stay will most certainly be Insta-worthy (in addition to preserving those treasured memories, of course). From the linens to the unique antique furnishings, the striking quality of the interior puts this property up there with some of the city’s more costly hotels, but with less noise outside (zero, in fact), free parking for one vehicle, and the space to relax without being constricted to your room.
The perfect location
Located on St. Olaves Road, Number 41 York is within staggering distance of the city’s Bootham Bar entrance. A historic walled city famous for it’s gothic 13th century cathedral, ghost stories, plethora of quality restaurants and shops, and, of course, the Harry Potter-esque Shambles, you could stay for a long weekend and just about fit in most of the key attractions. If the weather isn’t particularly kind, you can batten down the hatches, get the fire going, and sink back into the marshmallow soft sofas of Number 41, pop on some jazz, and converse the night away as the rain pitter patters down the window. Elegant enough to feel luxurious, but cosy enough to feel comforting, Number 41 retains that “home from home” feeling without compromising on style.
A foodie favourite
Whether you’re eating in or eating out, York has something for the refined palate and the picky eater alike. Number 41 York sits within walking distance of an abundance of independent cafes, delis, restaurants, and wine bars, all serving unique, quality dishes washed down with all manner of delicious beverages. If you’re in the mood for something a little more lively, you can stroll into the city and indulge in some pizza and grapes at boutique wine bar, Cave du Cochon. With a concentrated food menu and extensive wine list, this popular haunt fills up quickly and is best booked in advance. If you’re happy curled up in the cocoon of your lounge chair and don’t fancy venturing out for the evening, be sure to visit Henshelwoods Deli, an independent delicatessen nestled at the side of the historic Shambles market. Selling cheese, charcuterie, and their famous brownies, stock up for an indulgent evening back at the townhouse as a great way to end your trip.
- Number 41 York is within delivery distance of several supermarkets. If you’re travelling with family or a larger group, book the basics in advance. The kitchen features a full size fridge freezer and plenty of cupboard space, so get stocked up and feel at home from arrival.
- If you want to get the classic Shambles shot devoid of tourists, prepare to get up early. We arrived at 06.00, the advantage of which being you can drive through the city before the bollards go up (which is a wonderful experience in itself). Our only interruption was a delivery van dropping off produce, other than that, it felt like the city was ours. We drove into the centre rather than walking (to save lugging camera equipment), and parked in the Shambles Q park, 2 minutes walk from the historic street itself. York is a stunning city, but many features can be overlooked when the streets are filled with sightseers. Get up early and make the most of views before the rest of the world wakes up.
- Unlike some Airbnb’s, Number 41 York is generously equipped with fluffy towels and crisp, fresh bedding. Save a bit of suitcase room and leave those bits at home, you’ll be more than well provided for.
- Why visit Number 41 York? Perfect for couples, families, groups of friends, or solo travellers who value space, you would be hard pushed to find this level of quality elsewhere within this price point and location.
- What’s the difference between a hotel and hosted accommodation? You’re getting substantially more space for your buck, and with that comes better value for money, especially if you’re travelling with more that two people.
- What are the hosts like? Wonderful. Bonhomie and welcoming, you cannot ask for more. They have a portfolio of properties including a further townhouse across the street, so get in touch if you’re travelling with a larger group and are in need of additional accommodation.
- I’m used to city life, will I get bored? Absolutely not! The property is with a short walk of the city and it’s many attractions, but far enough to ensure a peaceful night’s sleep. Plus you won’t have to fight for parking.
How to book:
You can book directly with the hosts via Airbnb here. There are discounts for longer stays plus, at the time of going to print, Christmas week is still available! You can plan the rest of your trip over on the Visit York site, which contains links to dozens of attractions within a short distance of Number 41 York.