• Home
  • Home Electrical Problems: Signs to Look Out For
Home Electrical Problems: Signs to Look Out For

Home Electrical Problems: Signs to Look Out For

2022/10/03

Are you worried about your home's electrical system? Do you know what to look for if something goes wrong? In this blog post, we will discuss some common signs of electrical problems in the home. By being aware of these signs, you can catch any potential issues before they turn into bigger problems. Stay safe and keep your family safe by knowing what to watch for!

Having Too Many Extension Cords

One sign that you may have electrical problems in your home is if you find yourself using a lot of extension cords. This is often a sign that there are not enough outlets in your home to meet your needs. If you find yourself using extension cords on a regular basis, it's important to find an electrician near you and have them come and take a look at your electrical system. They can help you add more outlets to your home so that you don't have to rely on extension cords.

Flickering Or Dimming Lights

One sign that there may be an issue with your home's electrical system is if your lights are flickering or dimming. This can be caused by a variety of things, such as loose connections, overloaded circuits, or faulty wiring. If you notice this happening, it's important to have it checked out by a professional as soon as possible to avoid any potential hazards.

Another sign of electrical problems is if you experience frequent power outages. This could be caused by faulty equipment or overloaded circuits. If you're noticing this happening more often than usual, it's important to contact an electrician to come and take a look.

Any Funny Smells

Any funny smells coming from your outlets or appliances are a sign that something is wrong. If you smell burning plastic or rubber, this could be a sign of an overloaded circuit or faulty wiring. If you notice a musty smell, this could be a sign of water damage to your electrical system. Be sure to have any strange smells checked out by a professional to avoid any potential hazards.

For example, if you smell burning coming from your toaster, unplug it immediately and call an electrician. If you have an outlet that smells like burning plastic, rubber, or metal, turn off the power to that circuit at the breaker box and call an electrician. Call the gas company as soon as you notice a gas smell and leave the house. Do not try to find the source of the smell or turn any lights on or off.

Home Electrical Problems: Signs to Look Out For

If You See Any Sparking

If you see any sparking, it's important to take note of where it's coming from. Is it coming from outlets? Switches? If so, there could be a problem with the wiring in those areas. If the sparking is coming from appliances or other electrical devices, it could be a sign that those devices are faulty and need to be replaced. In any case, if you see sparks, it's best to consult with a professional electrician to figure out the cause and find a solution.

Do not, and I cannot stress this enough, do not try to fix the problem yourself. Electricity is extremely dangerous and should only be handled by qualified professionals. So if you see any sparking, give us a call and we'll send someone out to take a look.

Do not touch or move anything that appears to be sparking. This includes not only electrical devices but also cords and outlets. Again, electricity is dangerous, and you don't want to risk getting hurt or making the problem worse. If you see sparks coming from an outlet, unplug any devices that are plugged into it, and do not use that outlet until a professional has checked it out.

Frequent Blown Fuses

A blown fuse is one of the most common signs of electrical problems in the home. If you find yourself frequently replacing fuses, it's time to call an electrician. This is especially true if the fuse box is old or outdated. A professional can assess your electrical system and make any necessary repairs or upgrades.

Another sign of electrical problems is tripped breakers. This can be caused by a number of things, including faulty wiring or overloaded circuits. If you find yourself constantly resetting breakers, it's time to call an electrician. They can assist in identifying the issue's root cause and performing any required repairs.

In conclusion, if you're experiencing any of the above problems, it's important to call a professional electrician. Electricity is dangerous and should not be handled by non-professionals. So if you see sparks, smell something burning, or notice any other strange signs, give us a call and we'll send someone out to take a look.

Laura Bartlett

Laura Bartlett

Northern girl Laura is the epitome of a true entrepreneur. Laura’s spirit for adventure and passion for people blaze through House of Coco. She founded House of Coco in 2014 and has grown it in to an internationally recognised brand whilst having a lot of fun along the way. Travel is in her DNA and she is a true visionary and a global citizen.